Saturday, October 13, 2007

#4 Wiki thoughts

Back again! Remembered my password this time.

Thoughts on Wikis - I liked looking at the 'Book Lovers Wiki' and thought that was a terrific use of a Wiki. I got some ideas myself for books to read. 'Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki' was really interesting and again, I thought this was a good use of a Wiki - very helpful and wide-ranging information for libraries and easy to negotiate.

I think the SLV Intranet would work well as a Wiki. Also, a Desk Wiki would be good. Have to be much better than the system we have now. Of course, editorial control would be an issue.

Meredith Farkas, in her article on the 'Library Success' Wiki, entitled 'ALA Wiki: What I learned and what I'm doing with it', written in July, 2005, contains a number of observations on how to produce a succesful Wiki - all of which sound sensible.

#5 Wikis
May as well add this to the above.

I managed to add an entry to the SLV Desk Wiki and was surprised how easy this was. It reinforces how useful a Wiki would be for desk-related information.

1 comment:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

I enjoyed reading your comments about wikis. Keep up the good work

Lynette