Tuesday, October 30, 2007

#8 Tagging, etc in Del.icio.us

I have used Del.icio.us in SLV Chat and can see the value for our reference service. We have all sorts of useful sites on there, to cover as many Australiana-related subjects. Good to have everything in one place and so easy to access. Also, good for organising bookmarks on a social book-marking site so that these can be accessed from different PC's, eg at work and at home or even when travelling (as we did recently).

I found the site on 'Steve the Art Museum social tagging project' very interesting and also the tags added to the Yarra Plenty Library catalogue records for fiction. Tags may increase access to information for non-library folk. However, I found the tags on the Yarra Plenty Library catalogue record for fiction items to be very broad and not so useful. It is an interesting concept and could work if the tags put on by non-cataloguers are readily identifiable as such. As fiction books do not have subject headings, I can see that it may add value to a record for a fiction item. I found some of the tags on the Technorati site to be odd, eg "Dumbasses". Can't see myself using such a tag.

No comments: