Thursday, October 18, 2007

#RSS and Google Reader

Wow, I've made it up to here. Actually, this is all very interesting. I must confess I had subscribed to an RSS feed about 3 years ago from the BBC's Web site. My supervisor was extolling the virtues of RSS feeds, so I thought I'd try it. I think it vanished off my Mozilla bookmarks during an upgrade - not to be replaced.

In this exercise, I subscribed to the following RSS feeds: Youth Literature, Library Bytes, ABC Unleashed (stuff about the upcoming Federal Election), SLV Media Releases and SLV Fellows Talks (because we've had dealings with a lot of the fellows across the desk and have chatted to them about their work) and the Age top stories. A lot of information, if only I had time to keep up with it all. I think the concept of RSS feeds is good. In a time poor, information rich society, it looks like the way to go. Slices of information on your chosen topic/s, which you can then choose to read at your leisure (or so the theory goes).

The SLV has a number of options for RSS feeds, so members of the public can keep informed on subjects that interest them. Not sure if there's any way to count how many people subscribe - suppose there is, as most things are now electronically counted. Other RSS feeds might work for new books received, learning sessions, tours, events at the Library, etc, etc.

1 comment:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

I love RSS feeds, they help me keep up with library developments.

Lynette